Monday, July 4, 2011

Transition

So--it is the 4th of July and we just enjoyed a semi-hometown parade in Kaysville, Utah. I would post pictures, but between all of the empty boxes, toys, unpacked items that have yet to find a home, and plain old laziness, I'm waiting on it!
Though it doesn't seem possible, it's already been 5 days since we pulled out of the driveway in Chandler, Arizona, and headed to Utah. The good-byes with our loved ones were tearful--and my heart still hurts when I think about it too much. Luckily I have alot that occupies my mind as of late! Kelly's parents have offered us their basement apartment to call home for the next while until we get established. I am so grateful! It really is a blessing that we have a place to call home while we make decisions. For the kids, it seems like summer vacation...usually after I finish up a week at Girls Camp, we pack up the van and head to Utah for a few weeks anyway--I'm sure the finality of it won't sink in until they have to start school...or maybe when the first snow falls.
I'll sound silly, but when I was putting away our stuff in the bathroom, I smiled to myself at the thought of how fast I'll be able to clean this apartment! Hooray! Of course, this will be the perfect training ground for my kids to be reminded how to clean...I'm sure they will be thrilled.
July 4th is my favorite holiday! I love my country and felt so much emotion when the Veterans rolled by in the parade today. I have always loved the family traditions that seem to surround the 4th--parades, picnics, grilling, games, ice cream (at Reed's Dairy), and finally fireworks--with a little Lee Greenwood :). The overcast weather in Utah today has seemed to match my mood though. I am so happy to be close to family--but I still feel as though I left family behind in Arizona. While at camp, we were talking about change and the stake YW president talked about getting used to "the new normal"...and that is what I am doing. As our lives change we have to adjust--we have to decide who we are and who we are going to be all over again. It has happened for me each time I've had a baby--and now with this move it's happening again. I've decided to type a list of things to hang by my bed--so that each day I will be reminded of who I want to be. It will take time...but good things can come from transition...

4 comments:

Julie Herrell said...

We will miss you. Thanks for all your family did for the Lindsay 1st ward & Chandler East Stake. We love you guys. Enjoy Utah!

King Lady said...

I was just thinking about you and on a whim checked out your blog. It really just hit me that I won't see you around these parts anymore. That's a heavy feeling, but apparently your family is due for a marvelous adventure. You have blessed so many lives here (including mine), and now there are others waiting. You are amazing!! Love you.

Anonymous said...

My emotions about this whole "transition" thing are still too raw to be rational! I'll leave it to you to find the good in all of it! When my kids get sad about missing their friends, I act like it's all for the best and is going to be okay. But in my quiet moments, I get waves of deep aching to have my best friend back near me. I feel a sense of great loss. We've definitely got to start planning a girl's weekend, though... I don't know if I can wait until next spring! Love you and miss you TONS! Time heals hearts, right?

Ruth said...

AAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're in UTAH!!! This is Ruth and Katie by the way...we are chilling together this evening. We are ready for a get together. Next week? Whatcha doing next week? Or the week after? If you need a break from unpacking, let's plan a D-10 reunion and we'll whisk you away from unpacking and cleaning!! Contact us! I'm ruthjknclark@gmail.com and Katie is ktricord@gmail.com. Love you and can't wait to SEE you!